Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Toolbox Cope Chest Part I

I need a physical place (a box, this blog site) that I can rummage through and dig out things when I need help feeling happy. When I'm upbeat, I'm proactive and creative, but when I'm already down, I feel stuck and unable to do the very thing I need to help myself. If I could make it easier on myself by having only to open up my little buffet box of happiness tools, then I would be more likely to actually choose one of those things to get me going again.

So, what's in my toolbox of happiness? my own personal cope chest? Tied at number one would have to be animals and nature. If I can cuddle or play with my dog, I feel relief from stress. His happy innocence both comfort and inspire me. If I can get outside and see some big sky, I feel like my problems are little; I feel like the weight of my own little world is off my shoulders.

Music is another biggie. I'm naturally drawn to dramatic music, but it sure doesn't up my happiness quotient. It ups my mood if I belt out a tune, but I also need to listen to upbeat, toe tappin' music. We've included a gadget for a Happy Playlist exactly because we feel we need to have at our fingertips the kind of music you just can't help but move and smile to. I need to work on my own personal playlist. (Note to self: homework assignment for tonight!).

Coming in at number 3: I feel better after having accomplished something, anything-- usually something simple and mindless yet physical. I never felt so great as when I built a small rock wall along our 200 foot driveway.

Number 4: groom home and self. When I feel down, I want to put on sweats and snuggle with my bad mood in a messy bed. Worst thing to do! I may WANT to do that, but what I NEED to do to feel better is get myself and my home looking as best as possible. Clutter depresses me. A sloppy pony tail and workout gear make me feel frumpy.

Number 5: my recent discovery: fake it. Act as if I'm content and I become more content. Smile warmly, feel better instantly. Imagine looking with soft eyes, feel my tension drain from my forehead. Breathe more deeply and relaxed and feel a bit more fulfilled. Speak with patience to my family, feel more like a kinder happier person to be around.

This one's a big work in progress. More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment