Wednesday, October 8, 2008

No Love Stories, Please

If you could look at my resource lists of happy books, movies, and songs, you will not find anything on romance or love stories. Look, I've been married for 16 years. Butterflies, girlish excitement, and the basic gah-gahs are a thing of the past. I don't want to awaken the feelings of tension and yearning that are as associated with being "in love" as peanut butter is with jelly. Even to open the door just a crack to a great love story, leaves me feeling hopelessly wistful sooner or later for parts of l'amour that are no longer in my cards.

Romance creates and feeds off of yearning and longing. I don't need that! Don't get me wrong, I am a typical female in the sense that I adore the fantasy of a charming man who is completely enamored with me. However, time has taught me that most charming men are charming precisely because they have a lot of practice being charming.

Being "in love" is about illusion. It's absolutely, temptingly delicious illusion, but an illusion nonetheless. It ends-- And what's left are two real people in a real relationship with bills, obligations, and sweat pants. I don't want to leave any room for me to be seduced by the idea of being in love, being seduced into the fantasy but left with illusion. Yes, I innately crave the tension filled, dramatic yearning of idyllic romance, but it's never made me happy. So, for this typical female, "No love stories, please."

No comments:

Post a Comment