Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Catch a Wave of Distraction

I know you are supposed to make important decisions from "a good place." But there was no way a position of strength would be rolling in with the tide for me: I just had a major blow to my equilibrium. I was already in Dante's fifth circle of hell. I had to grasp at a Plan B. If I couldn't muster being proactive from a position of strength, at least I could try to get myself to "do the right thing" on my behalf while I knew I was still distracted.


I was distracted for a minute while bemoaning my plight on the phone. A joke was made. Levity. The dark clouds of Hell, Fifth Circle, broke open juuuust enough. While still on the phone, I acted fast (click & go away you thing that is like crack cocaine to me). I couldn't have done it without the brief distraction. If I had waited 'til I was off the phone, I would've given my stinkin' thinkin' time to pull me down deeper.


I realized this worked in the same way distraction works when I need to get my blood drawn. You'll never get me to "be okay with" getting my blood drawn: I get anxious & queezy every time. (What a whimp)! But I CAN be distracted. The nurse makes a fart noise and my laughing for just one second is enough for me to accept that needle without going down for the count. It's not exactly taking the high road, but it works.


So, today I learned that sometimes catching a wave of distraction can pull me out from under just long enough for me to try to swim back to shore safely again.
So, next time I'm drowning, can you just make a fart noise please?

No comments:

Post a Comment