Sunday, February 1, 2009

On the Car Radio

I noticed that I wasn't feeling any happier listening to the pop rock I tuned into on the car radio. The music all seemed either angry, whiny, yearny, romantic, over-sexed, sleepy, or outright depressing. And so I somewhat reluctantly turned to talk radio and discovered I LOVED it.

First of all, I felt "wicked smaht" (for you Southerners, that's New England speak for 'purrty smart'). I suddenly had interesting tidbits to talk about with friends & strangers-- no small feat for an introvert. Secondly, I noticed that it was great not to be manipulated by music in any negative way. (I'm all for being manipulated toward feeling upbeat, energized, or inspired but if you're listening to the radio, you have little control over that).

So, I clung to my local National Public Radio station (WBUR 90.9 FM --go team!) like an overboard passenger grasps a life ring.

And then the unthinkable happened. My car radio broke. I was desperate. Not only was I cut off from my happy-conducive distraction, listening to engaging stories on NPR was one of the only (safe) things that kept me awake on my long drives. Now what?

My child was all set. He had his portable DVD player and headset to distract and please him. At first, I decided to use the quiet drive time to work on my spiritual development. Being centered= being content. I tried doing an eyes wide open, 61 point, breath meditation, but it relaxed me too much and left me even more tired. Then, I decided to try instead "to pull a Jackie" (see blog post, "Thank you, Jackie," on http://www.the3minutemystic.blogspot.com ): I sang out loud for 50 nonstop minutes.

It was great. It energized me AND distracted me. When I didn't know the words and had to make stuff up it also made me laugh: not much rhymes with "remember."

My car radio is fixed now, but guess what? I kept it off by choice this time. Turns out that singing badly all by my lonesome is my ticket to endorphins, smiles and good times. If you should hear me through the car windows, I may sing off key, but I'm happy!
La, la, LA-A-A-A-Ahhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment